- The school must offer undergraduate or graduate degree programs in any of the IEEE-designated fields of interest. This includes: Engineering, Computer Sciences and Information Technology, Physical Sciences, Biological and Medical Sciences, Mathematics, Technical Communications, Education, Management, Law and Policy.
- Programs in the IEEE-designated fields of interest in U.S. institutions must be accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). For institutions in other parts of the world, programs must meet the requirements of a recognized regional or professional accrediting agency.
- The Department Chair, Dean of Engineering, School Chancellor, and other appropriate university administrators must support the formation of an IEEE-HKN chapter on your campus.
- A minimum of eight eligible students must be identified to establish the chapter and prepare the required submission materials. These students will become the charter members of the new chapter.
- All graduate students are encouraged to become members of IEEE-HKN. They have the right to hold office, serve on committees, and actively participate in chapter activities.
The approval of the Head of the Department(s) in the IEEE-designated fields of interest, and the faculty advisor, are needed to induct graduate students. It is not necessary to obtain the approval of the chapter where a graduate student did their undergraduate work. Having graduate students as members of your chapter will extend your support and improve your chapter.
After verifying that your campus is eligible for a new chapter of IEEE-HKN, you should contact IEEE-HKN Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A Faculty Advisor for the prospective chapter must be appointed by the Department Chair.
- The exact list of charter members should be identified. This list must contain a minimum of eight eligible students, and as a practical matter, should be limited to a maximum of 15 to 20 students who will most actively take part in the establishment of the new chapter. In many cases, there will be a much larger number of students who are eligible at the time of the new chapter's installation. Many new chapters will hold their first regular new member induction when the new chapter is being installed in order to induct all of the eligible members into the chapter.
- The charter members may elect interim chapter officers if they desire for the purpose of running the prospective chapter until the chapter is officially installed.
- A Notice of Election of Officers Form (PDF) should be filled out listing the interim chapter officers and Faculty Advisor. The Form primarily consists of the names of the officers and advisor who will assume the necessary responsibilities for the formation and subsequent operation of the chapter.
- A letter requesting to form the new chapter should be generated and signed by the charter members. Contact IEEE-HKN Headquarters for a sample letter.
- A New Member Requisition Form listing the charter members names, addresses, class year, and graduation date must be completed. You may leave the chapter name and induction date as "To Be Determined".
- IEEE-HKN Headquarters will need to receive a statement signed by the Department Chair and the Dean of Engineering stating details about the degree programs at your University. This letter should state the degree programs offered and the ABET accreditation status of those institutions in the U.S., or the equivalent recognized regional or professional accrediting agency for those institutions in other parts of the world. It should also state the number of students enrolled and graduated in each of the programs during the past few years, along with any other historical and/or pertinent information about the school and its degree programs. Contact IEEE-HKN Headquarters for a sample letter.
- IEEE-HKN Headquarters will also need to receive a written statement of approval (such as a letter) signed and/or endorsed by the Department Chair, the Dean of Engineering, the Dean of Students, and the University President (or their equivalents) that states their support for the formation of the new IEEE-HKN chapter on your campus. In some organizations, the chief academic officer has the title of Chancellor or Provost.
- The charter members should meet and create the chapter Operations Manual that will govern the new chapter. As an example, see the Sample Chapter Operations Manual.
After the aforementioned steps have been completed, the following materials should be submitted to IEEE-HKN Headquarters:
- Letter requesting establishment for the new chapter
- Statement of degree programs and accreditation status
- Letter of support from university officials
- Proposed Operations Manual for the new chapter
- New Member Requisition Form listing all charter members
- Notification of Election of Officers Form listing the interim officers and faculty advisor
This package of materials will be reviewed and approved by IEEE-HKN's Executive Council. After approval, IEEE-HKN Headquarters will notify your prospective chapter of whether it has passed this step of the process. If it has passed, the planning for the chapter installation ceremony may proceed.
The installation of a new IEEE-HKN chapter is a very significant event for the entire IEEE-Eta Kappa Nu organization. A representative from the IEEE-HKN organization will visit your campus to officially install the new chapter and present the chapter charter. You are encouraged to invite all faculty, the Department Chair, the Dean of Engineering, other university officials, and even special guests from neighboring IEEE-HKN chapters to attend. The date of the chapter installation will be agreed upon with IEEE-HKN Headquarters.
The official name of the new chapter will be assigned. Chapter names are assigned in chronological order of installation.
At installation day, your prospective chapter should arrange for all facilities and invited guests. The IEEE-HKN representatives will meet your Faculty Advisor, chapter officers, Department Chair, Dean of Engineering, and other officials prior to the ceremony, and if time allows, a guided tour of the various facilities by the student members is encouraged.
IEEE-HKN Headquarters will assist you in preparing the speaking agenda for the installation ceremony. Following the official installation ceremony and the induction of the charter members, you are encouraged to host a reception or a banquet, offering the opportunity for the new members to interact with the guests and IEEE-HKN representatives.
Supporting materials found on this Web site include Sample Chapter Operations Manual, the New Member Requisition Form, and the Notification of Election of Officers Form. The site also lists the various officer duties and suggestions for operating your chapter, as well as chapter activities suggestions.
IEEE-HKN Headquarters staff is enthusiastic to assist you in establishing a new IEEE-HKN chapter on your campus. The IEEE-HKN staff will make the application process relatively easy. Your chapter will generate ongoing benefits for your students, your Department, and the profession for many years to come.
If you have any questions or wish to discuss forming a new chapter, please send an email to email@example.com.